Saturday, February 16, 2008

Meet Halvor/Halvar

This lovely feline decided to head North today and live with a bunch of his own kind- Norwegians in St. Cloud. We just got back from Petco in West St. Paul with Halvor/Halvar a 3-year old Norwegian Forest Cat.
He came from Last Hope in Farmington MN- but the foster mom was set up at the West St. Paul Petco today for adpotions. I called her yesterday and we emailed about our interest in him. We've been looking for a Norwegian Forest Cat or Weegie (affectionate nickname for this breed because of their "triangle" shaped face...or is it because "wegi" is in the name Norwegian, now I'm not sure) for quite some time.






When we got him home he was very smelly and had a dingleberry- I found when bathing him. He didn't care to have a bath, yet was still 100X better than our old cat Bob when we had to bathe him after an enema. Then, he let me brush and brush and brush him. He purrrrrrrr-urrrrr-urrrred and rubbed/pushed into his new grooming brush. Now he's cleaning himself right behind me in the chair. He needed to get a ton of mats out and the foster Mom had bathed and brushed his mats when she got him. He'll have several more days of cleaning, brushing and washing to get his coat to that lovely feel and look that Wedgies are know for.


So, now I'm a female in a house with 3 male humans and 2 male felines- Wow!
And, why a Norwegian? I guess because they are so lovely and it's like having something from the old land, though I'm not even one bit Scandanvian!


Oh, and the spelling is still up in the air (as far as I'm concerned). Since he is a Norwegian, Halvor is the proper spelling. However, the name Halvar comes from a book Jack just finished a book called Viki Viking (but the English translation from the German version about a Swedish Viking boy...got that?).


So, Jack's suggestion was Halvar, which is a great name and he gets to take credit for naming him. Chris and I told him that it's so cool to pick out a great name and that will stick with him forever. He'll remember what the day was like, what he liked to do and how he got the name Halvar long after he is grown and Halvar has gone to Valhalla. Well, at least that's what we think, based on our own lives, feeling and memories. Chris' named his cat Fred; as in Fred Flintstone. Well, you can guess our age-range! Yes, The Flintstones, The Brady Bunch and The Six Million Dollar Man have shaped our lives. Graham and Jack's lives are shaped by SpongeBob. So it goes.





3 comments:

grousy said...

I edited some of my spelling- I had the NFC nickname spelled wrong-

I'm learning more and more as I research more about NFC ;)

Abra La Mente said...

That's a very pretty cat, though I'm more of a dog person myself. Another animal saved...YEAH!!

Jennifer said...

Halvar was such a sweetie! I'm not a cat person either, but this is the most dog-like cat I've ever met :) A part of the family already too- I think it was a perfect match. Enjoy!