Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'm No Longer The Brewer's Wife!

You can almost hear it crackle in this picture- a thing of beauty!

Yes, it is true. I should say, I'm not longer just the Brewer's Wife, I'm also known as the Baker's Wife! Chris has taken yeast manipulation down a new, tasty path! We've (more like, Chris) pushed around the idea of the "bread in 5 minutes a day" for over a year. We first heard about it on The Splendid Table over a year ago. By chance, Chris' mom gave us the book by Zoe Francios and Jeff Hertzberg for Christmas 2007 and it sat almost untouched until just before this past Christmas. Well, we toyed with the bread ideas again and how to best approach it in our family. We had just the right container to use (I happily turned over my large, round Rubbermaid goodie/cookie container to Chris). We re-read the book and pledged ourselves to try it full-heartily this time. Chris is really the man, I just help with the small details like going out to the grocer when there is a flour emergency! Oh, and I'm on board as the full-time taster, but Jack and Graham have pushed up the ranks and I'm losing the job to the boys. They love the bread and we haven't heard one complaint for "normal bread" in over a month!

I've heard that just about every Row band member has started down the bread baking road as well! Not sure if this is really true, just the story that came down the pike after the last gig Thursday.
Pick the book up at the library (a pretty long line for it at GRRL) or buy it. I'd say we could lend it out, but I think Chris looks at it almost everyday.

4 comments:

Lisa Zahn said...

You had me REALLY worried there, with all the layoffs and all!

Everyone is baking this bread! I have another recipe I use every week, but so many people have recommended this we gotta start too...

Jen said...

Too funny, I have an almost identical post (and loaf of bread!) on my site, from a month or so ago. Yet another thing Chris and I have in common!! Beer and bread. Mmmmm.

grousy said...

Wow Jen, that's funny! I'll have to read it now.
This has been a fairly easy bread (again, Chris does all the work). My sister said that she found a lot of blogs she was visiting had links to the book and lots of bakers out there. What a very cool thing!

Chris has followed a recipe in the past from a Jamie Oliver book, but it just wasn't as consistent and easy as this method. Lovin' the everyday bread and not cleaning out pans- he bakes on tiles in the oven :)

Abra La Mente said...

I have thought about buying this book at least weekly since I saw it demonstrated on Kare 11 over a year ago...its the procrastinator in me. Looking at that loaf, I need to get moving! I still like to bake beer bread, too, but haven't made any since Christmas.