Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hot Tamale!

Mmmmmmm! Yummy!

You can see the steam coming of the plate- I love this shot!

Our neighbors Leyda and Giovanni came over on Christmas day to deliver two freshly made tamles the Honduran way! Wrapped in a banana leaf I heated it up on the stove just now. I did one yesterday, too. The kids were not convinced of it's goodness. We got some last year as well and Chris wasn't sure he liked them that well. Ah, more for me! They were delicious- Leyda rawks!

One isn't suppose to eat the banana leaf, but I did heat it up while it was wrapped in the leaf. That seemed to work better than taking it out and heating it. She put rice, chicken, green olives and golden raisins (I believe). Not sure of the spices, but not at all hot despite the title of this entry.

We have awesome neighbors all around by the way. For every neighborhood gathering she brings fresh, hand-rolled tortillas! Super cool! One day I sat in her kitchen chatting and the whole time she's making these tortillas for her husband and son who are due home soon. She made a Honduran taco, not at all like Taco John's- ha!

Layered with cheese, meat, fresh tomato and a hard boiled egg slices on the top. Yummy! Then when they came in, they insisted I join them. What a treat!

No comments: