Thursday, December 6, 2007

Happy Saint Nicholas Day!!













A traditional story about Saint Nicholas is most appropriate for this day. However, I've never been one to do the appropriate thing!




My boys had a terrific time last evening after St. Nicholas pounded on the door and left a hefty sack of fruits, nuts, candies and chocolates. They also received two GINORMOUS coloring books!
I really love Saint Nicholas Eve, more than Christmas really. It's so traditonal, it's about a few treats and the anticipation of somebody great. Santa is really too commercialized. Look at me, I sound like some PSA or religious nut job! Really, though in the Netherlands and Germany St. Nicholas Eve and Day are celebrated as a secular holiday. There is really little in way of "the Jesus" connection, the Christmas connection or heavy guilt ridden expectations. For our home, it comes and it goes. It is one evening of a quick glimpse into simpler times. I would like to (and I would think Chris would be in agreement with this as well) focus more on the St. Nick tradition and keeping it simple and less on the Santa influence.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I like the tradition of St Nick too! It must be the Norwegian in me...